In my continuing efforts to help more people to vote, here is some key voter information.
- Election day is October 15, but you can vote in advance…
- You can vote in advance by mail (see below) or in advance polls (see below). This ensures nothing gets in the way of voting on election day, and frees up your time on election day — so you can volunteer to help get people to the polls! 🙂
- Registration – you can do it in advance, or when you vote with ID (see below)
- You will need identification documents. There are many options (see below)
Voting by mail
- Mail ballots must be received by 8 p.m. Saturday, October 15, 2022 to be counted.
- Information on requesting a mail ballot will be available at the beginning of September at the City website.
- Wed Oct 5, 8 am – 8 pm Victoria City Hall, 1 Centennial Square – *Has accessible voting machine*
- Fri Oct 7, 9 am – 6 pm Our Place, 919 Pandora Avenue
- Tues Oct 11, 8 am – 8 pm Victoria City Hall, 1 Centennial Square – *Has an accessible voting machine*
- Tues Oct 11, 8 am – 4 pm University of Victoria, Student Union Building, 3800 Finnerty Road
- Wed Oct 12, 9 am – 6 pm Victoria City Hall 1 Centennial Square
Every voter needs to be registered. You may already be registered if you already voted provincially.
- If so, a Voter Card will be mailed to your home in Sept/early Oct.
- If not, you can register at Elections BC here up to August 23, OR at the voting place with 2 pieces of identification, OR when you receive a mail ballot. Registering before voting days makes voting easier and more certain.
General Voting Day, Saturday, October 15, 2022, 8 am – 8 pm:
- Central Baptist Church – 833 Pandora Avenue
- Central Middle School – 1280 Fort Street — *Has an accessible voting machine*
- Cook Street Village Activity Centre – 380 Cook Street
- George Jay Elementary School – 1118 Princess Avenue
- Glenlyon Norfolk School – 801 Bank Street
- James Bay Community School – 140 Oswego Street
- James Bay New Horizons Centre – 234 Menzies Street
- Margaret Jenkins Elementary School – 1824 Fairfield Road
- Oaklands Elementary School – 2827 Belmont Avenue
- Quadra Elementary School – 3031 Quadra Street
- Sir James Douglas Elementary School – 401 Moss Street
- SJ Burnside Education Centre – 498 Cecelia Road
- Victoria West Elementary School – 750 Front Street
If you are registering to vote at a Voting Place, you will be required to present two pieces:
- BC Driver’s Licence
- BC Identification Card
- Photo BC Services Card
- Certificate of Indian Status as issued by the Government of Canada
- Non-photo BC Services Card
- Student card issued by a post-secondary institution
- Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence issued by ICBC
- BC CareCard or BC Gold CareCard
- Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8
- Social Insurance Card
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- City of Victoria Property Tax Notice
- Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits
- BC Government cheque
- Income Tax Assessment Notice
- Canadian Forces Identification
- Old Age Security Identification Card
- Canadian Passport
- Birth Certificate
- Credit card or debit card or statement
- Utility bill
- Library card issued by the Greater Victoria Public Library
All advance voting places and general voting places are wheelchair accessible. Voters who can’t enter a voting place can vote at the curb or in the parking lot.
The above is only an unofficial guide. The updated and official information is at the City of Victoria website.